NJ CCW (Carry Concealed Weapon) Certification Courses
Big Win For Gun Rights in New Jersey! – Only “Justifiable Need” was ruled Unconstitutional by the Supreme Court Ruling! The Attorney General has put out DIRECTIVE NO. 2022-07 which instructs the New Jersey Issuing Authorities to not apply the “Justifiable Need” to Applicants. New Jersey still requires all the other requirements to be met by applicants, but the “Justifiable Need” is no more!
3 CCW Certification Courses Available!
1) CCW Express Course W/ Range Qualification
$350 Classroom & Shooting Included (at a later date)
Description: This class covers the Four Rules of Firearms Safety, Drawing from a concealment holster, Use of Force, Qualification course description and Proper dry fire tips for qualification success. The class also includes your range qualification session at a later date at our private range. We will also have a notary present for your written permit application as well. This course contains all the necessary components to becoming a responsible and safe Concealed Carry Holder.
2) CCW Shooting Qualification Course Only
$120 – Shooting Only 1st Firearm, $50 per additional firearm
Description: This is the shooting qualification needed to be passed to be able to carry your concealed carry weapon. This course is a 50 round course from 5 yards out to 25 yards. An 80% or better score is required to pass. Is it conducted at our private range. Lack of safe gun handling and or a score of less than 80% will be grounds for failure without refund.
Note: IT is conducted at our private range.
3) CCW Express Course
$200 – Classroom Only – 2.5 Hour Course
Description: This Class covers the Four Rules of Firearms Safety: Drawing from a concealment holster, Use of Force, Qualification course description and Proper dry fire tips for qualification success. We will also have a notary present for your written permit application as well. This course contains all the necessary components to becoming a responsible and safe Concealed Carry Holder.
NJ CCW (Carry Concealed Weapon) Certification Guidelines & General Requirements
It can seem complicated, but don’t worry! Duncan Defense Will Guide You Every Step Of The Way!
NJ Firearms ID Card – Gear Check!
Before embarking on your NJ CCW (Carry a Concealed Weapon) journey, make sure you have a valid NJ Firearms ID Card. Don’t worry if you don’t have one yet; you can apply for it here at Duncan Defense!
NJ CCW Qualification Course
Hit The Bullseye
Passing a NJ CCW qualification course is a must. Shoot for an 80% score or higher, proving your safety, familiarity, and accuracy with firearms.
Apply for Your License to Carry!
Below you will find all the information you will need to apply for your permit online. We will be able to help you with many steps that are required, so don’t hesitate to ask!
The Application Has To Be Completed Online
The Concealed Carry Permits service allows for online submission of both initial and renewal applications. Approved applications are due for renewal every two (2) years. Renewal applications can be submitted up to four (4) months before the expiration date. Concealed Carry Permit applicants need to have been fingerprinted for firearms purposes in New Jersey and assigned an SBI number before they can apply for a Concealed Carry Permit. If you have never been fingerprinted for firearms purposes in New Jersey before, start with an application for an Initial Firearms I.D. card.
You can find the Permit to Carry Safe Handling and Proficiency Certification and Use of Force Training document on the NJSP website.
If you have lived outside of the state of New Jersey in the last ten (10) years, please fill out form SP066 (LINK TO SP 66 Form)(Consent for Mental Health Records) and upload it to your application.
YOU WILL NEED THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION AND DOCUMENTS TO COMPLETE THE ONLINE APPLICATION.
1. Your Township Police ORI Number – NJ0****00 (If incorrect number is entered application will not be sent to your department- Any fees submitted with an application with an incorrect ORI number will not be refunded). Duncan Defense will give it to you
2. Passport Style Photograph (2 inches by 2 inches- light colored background- no hats – no sunglasses- – NOTE – Do not use photo from NJ Driver’s License or a copy of your NJ DL. as picture will not be accepted- Do not use a copy of passport. (APPLICANT WILL BE REQUIRED TO UPLOAD THIS PHOTO TO APPLICATION) Duncan Defense will take them for you
3. Completed NJ State Police Form (S.P 182) -Permit to Carry Safe Handling and Proficiency Certification. A link to this form is available in a fillable form on the opening page of the application which is pictured above. This form must be completed and signed by both the Firearms Instructor and the applicant. (APPLICANT WILL BE REQIURED TO UPLOAD THIS FORM TO APPLICATION). Duncan Defense will give it to you at the time of qualification
4. Completed SP66 Form (Consent for Mental Health Records Search) if the applicant has lived out of state during the past 10 years – This form must be completed and uploaded during the application. A link to this form in fillable format is available on the opening page of the application as pictured above. Applicants that have not lived out of state during the past 10 years are not required to complete this form as the records check will be completed as part of the online process. (APPLICANT WILL BE REQUIRED TO UPLOAD THIS FORM TO APPLICATION). Duncan Defense will give it to you
5. NJ Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (SBI Number from Firearms ID Card will be required to be entered in application).
6. NJ Driver’s License (Personal information entered in the application must match NJ Driver’s License exactly).
7. Serial Number, Caliber, Make, and Model Number of all handguns which you intend to carry. Applicants will be required to enter the information for each handgun in the application.
8. Names, Addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses of 4 (FOUR) references that have known the applicant for at least 3 years prior to submitting of application- References cannot be related to the applicant by blood or law. These references will be contacted by Investigators.
9. Credit or Debit Card- At the end of the application applicants will be required to pay the following fees to the State of New Jersey. a. Concealed Carry Permit Application State Fee of $50.00 (Plus online service fee of $5.00) Total Fee = $55.00 b. 212A Background Check Fee of $18.00 (Plus online service fee of $3.00) Total = $21.00 c. THE TOTAL OF ABOVE (a & b) is $76.00 will be charged to credit/debit card entered by the applicant.
IMPORTANT: The application fee of $150.00 required by NJ State Law payable to your Police Department is not paid as part of the online process. Please check with your department to see what payment methods are accepted. Your application will not be processed until the application fee has been submitted.
Time to Put Those Regulations into Action!
Application Review – Double-Check Time!
The law enforcement agency responsible for processing your carry permit will review your application to ensure it complies with N.J.S.A. 2C:58-4d and N.J.A.C. 13:54-2.4. Luckily, you don’t need to submit a written certification of justifiable need.
Rule Out the No-Gos – What Could Get You Disqualified?
The agency won’t approve your permit if you fall under any of the listed disabilities in N.J.S.A. 2C:58-3(c)(1)-(11), which would prevent you from obtaining a handgun purchase permit or a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card.
Background Checks – The Scoop on You
To obtain approval, the agency will verify that you’re qualified to carry. Your application must also be endorsed by four reputable folks who’ve known you for at least three years. They’ll certify your good moral character and behavior.
Gun Know-How – Don’t Skip the Basics!
You won’t get the green light without demonstrating thorough familiarity with the safe handling and use of handguns, as required by N.J.A.C. 13:54-2.4(b).
State Policy Regulations – Play by the Rules!
The Superintendent of the State Police is in charge of implementing the statutory requirements for carry permits. The law enforcement agencies need to follow the regulations issued by the New Jersey State Police, including any expedited amendments.
Firearms Safety Training – Safety First, Folks!
Safety First, Coverage Second – Liability Insurance
We at Duncan Defense Consultants strongly advise obtaining liability insurance coverage for CCW and we have teamed up with US Lawshield to provide you with the most comprehensive coverage possible. Make sure you use our promo code “DUNCANDEF” when enrolling
It’s a Marathon, Not a Sprint – Duration and Renewal
Your permit to carry a handgun in New Jersey is valid for two years from the date of issuance. Don’t worry, you can renew it for another two-year period.
Your Secrets Are Safe with Us – Privacy Matters!
Rest easy, as your personal application and permit information regarding concealed weapons won’t be made public. They’re confidential and only accessible by authorized individuals involved in the administration of justice. Your trust is well-placed!
Non-Residents Welcome – Let’s Talk Reciprocity!
Hey, non-residents! If you want to carry a handgun in the Garden State, you’re in luck. You’ll just need to apply through the NJ State Police website for a Non Resident CCW Permit!